2015.03.23


Welcome to week 8 of Term 1, 2015.

Dates for your Calendar
23rd March - Sam Strahan / Junior Cup trials.
23rd March - BOT meeting.
26th March - Turbos Rugby training.
31st March - Oroua Cricket Festival.
1st April     -  Teacher PD with Nadia Ballantine.
2nd April    -   Final Assembly / Term 1 ends.
3rd April     -  Good Friday.
20th April   - Term 2 begins at 9.00a.m.
22nd April  - Rippa Rugby Junior Cup.
24th April   - Sam Strahan Rippa Rugby.
25th April   -  ANZAC DAY.
26th April   -  Apiti School Trail Bike ride.
27th April   -  Anzac Day observed - school closed.

What's coming up ... 
Sam Strahan Rippa Rugby Trials
Trials were held today for the Northern Oroua Sam Strahan and Junior Cup teams.
Your child will be informed as soon as the coaches have selected their teams. These students will have extra rippa rugby practises over the next two weeks in preparation for the tournament which is in the first week next term. Thanks to Adam and Ben for helping with this. 

Cricket Festival - Tuesday 31st March
Next Tuesday the 31st of March, we are involved in the Oroua Cricket Festival for a 'Country Schools 8 a-side Cricket Festival'.  Our 8 students will be finalised tomorrow at cricket coaching.  This event will be held at Kowhai Park in Feilding starting at 9.30, finishing by 3.00pm.
We will need transport to this event, so please let Nicki know a.s.a.p if you are able to help.  

Quick-fire survey
We are always looking at ways to improve and simplify communication. We are currently looking at ways to communicate quick messages and unexpected changes. Do you have a preference .... email or text ... As we need to know if you have received it , it is important to reply, especially if it is a change. Please let Christine know. 

Board of Trustee Meeting
The next BOT meeting will be held tonight (Monday) starting at 7.00pm in the staff room.  All members of the public are welcome. To view the Agenda, just click on the BOT tab down the side of the newsletter. 

Link for 2015 Charter
To keep you up-to-date with our School Charter, just click here School Charter.

Assembly
There will be an assembly held in the senior room on Thursday the 2nd of April starting at 1.30pm.  All community members are most welcome to attend.   

School Holidays
School will close for the end of term 1 on Thursday the 2nd of April at 3.00pm and re-open on Monday the 20th of April at 9.00am. 

School Times
School will finish at 2.30 every Friday afternoon during Term 2 and 3.  Lunch time will be from 12.30 to 1.00pm only on Fridays.  The earlier finishing will enable families to make appointments as required during this time rather than taking students out during school time. 

ASSA / Apiti School Trail Ride
Thanks to all those parents who attended the ASSA meeting recently.  The Trail bike ride, which is happening on Sunday the 26th of April was discussed in detail. Please refer to the ASSA tab down the side of the newsletter for more information.

2015 Overall learning theme 
I am Connected
Celebrations and Updates  ...
Manawatu Interschool Triathlon Results
This triathlon held recently was opened to all Manawatu schools with 5 of our students taking part in this run, bike, swim event.  
Huntah - 5th - Year 8 boy!
Hannah - 5th - Year 8 girl!
Brooke - 13th - Year 7 girl!
James - 11th - Year 5 boy!
Sarah - 11th - Year 5 girl!
What a fantastic achievement!! Well done!

EOTC - Mistletoe Bay Camp
What an amazing learning experience for all the students. Their expressive reflections tell it all. The camp magazine will show more expressive writing from camp. 
Our Mistletoe Bay camp was made possible by the support of parents, ASSA and the B.O.T.
  

Day one Monday the 16 of March

I ran to the cool play ground on the ferry. It was really cool. I was in a good mood, I can't wait to get there. We went sooo slow my heart was pounding so fast. I had to run to keep up we got off the huge ferry. We got on the smaller boat we went zooming over the water. I ran off the boat into the whare at Mistletoe Bay, it was cool.

Day two

As I went gliding over the diamond sea on a SUP board, it was like there where heaps of rockets on the back of me. It was amazing I was zooming over the sea. I could do it all day. I kept going until I got stuck in the mud. We had a turn in the sail boat I had a great time. We saw the glow worms they look like little lights and stars. On the way back Mrs Cuming jumped out and scared Tyler he jumped.

Lauren  

Day 2 As I dive into the water with the fish I saw an awesome squid, it was bluey greeny, with one big black spot on its headAs I hop on a SUP I saw a big fish fly past me for two min. I was chasing the big fish on my paddle board. I love the paddle boards they were cool. I got to go yachting. James and I went on the yachts. We had soooo much fun and we had fun it was a cool day. We went fishing I love everything we did. 
Johnny 

Day one
My heart was racing when we were caught in traffic I was wondering if we were going to make it.Finally we got there. We had to rush and get into the ferry I was exhausted. I went up to the top of the boat to see the waves. On the side of the boat the water was bubbly and white. It was a beautiful view. When I went downstairs outside you could hear the water splashing. The water was blowing in my face because of the wind. After that I went inside and sat down. Jayda.

Splash as I go in the water from standing up on the paddle board. I'm rocking I'm just about to flip off again, but when I got the hang of it I started to go to where the sharks and the sting ray where. I saw some fish and some star fish. Jackson and I were doing some races. I won of course. But still later on in the day I was still falling of the paddle board. There was no paddle boards when you go back to shore, so I had a turn on the sail boats. Its pretty scary when you pick up speed and you have to be pretty good if you are with the wind.  -  Tyler.

Please look at the students e-portfolio - wiki and blogs for other great recounts of camp.

Thanks to our camp parents; Pam, Chonee and Mike W.
Thanks to those who helped with transport; Doug, Hannah and Anna C.
Thanks to everyone for the delicious baking, meat and other supplies provided.
Feedback thus far reinforces the incredible value of learning experiences outside the classroom. Our camp magazine will be available for perusal soon!
Below is a letter received from Tash the Nature and Wildlife Office Manager.
Hi Mary,
So wonderful to hear the kids had a great time and learnt lots! Hehe..Savannah certainly kept me on my toes. What a beautiful little girl though and clearly very intelligent and inquisitive too. Was so wonderful to see a school that seemed very much like one big family..really inspiring and loved their enthusiasm and passion for the environment! As requested I have attached the drop box link to our species sheets for your use.  Thanks again Mary and lovely to meet you all, 
Kindest Regards, Tash Luxton, Office Manager Nature and Wildlife Tours.

Apiti Show Meeting
There will be an Apiti Show meeting tomorrow night (Tuesday 24th), at the Knights place starting at 7.30pm.   -- S. McKenzie.

As this is the last newsletter for term 1, we would like to wish you all a safe and happy Easter / holiday period and will see you all back here on Monday the 20th of April.