2011.11.14

Welcome to week 4 of term 4 2011.
Students of the week
Junior Room :-
Week 2:- Chloe Great reading progress using her decoding strategies especially blends and chunking
Week 3 - Alex and Tyler Great results in numeracy basic facts testing. they are able to apply these basic facts widely.

Senior Room
Week 2:- Stanley - Understanding his learning goals and striving to achieve high standards. Stanley does a great job encouraging everyone around him to do their best.
Week 3:- Logan - Great stamina in learning; especially in reading, writing to build a picture for his audience, maths and thinking creatively. Keep up the great work Logan.

Events for your Calendar and Community News - Remember to click on the tabs at the top of our newsletter blog to keep up to date with these. They are updated regularly.

Board of Trustee Meeting The next Board of Trustee meeting will be held tonight, Monday the 14th of November starting at 6.30p.m. All members of the community are welcome to attend. Please click on the Board of Trustee tab to view the Agenda.

What's been happening ...
Lamb and Calf Day
This was another great learning opportunity for all. The students were justly proud of all their accomplishments. It was a great chance for you, to all see the learning they have been involved in lately at our awesome school. eg the science investigations. The full powerpoint complete with videos can be seen on the students e-portfolio wikis. Also the entries into the digi awards where we won 5 finalist spots. It was good to see the Apiti judges also saw Alex and his 'Save the Bush" Sustainability poster and Keanu and Brooke's original photos as winners.
The day ran very smoothly thanks to the weather. We would like to officially thank Christine, Pat, Mary B, and Rebekah for their work towards the day and on the day.
It was great to see so many parents / grandparents and community members here supporting the children.
A huge thank you to the following who helped out in any way during the day and made the day a great success :-
Indoor Judges : Tiffinay, Wendy, Sonya, Gaylene, Julie and Lisa.
Outdoor Judges : Hamish (our friendly vet from Totally Vets), Paul (PGG Wrightson), Ian, Jock, Rhonda, Vaughan, John and Sandie.
Totally Vets for supplying the ribbons and rosettes. Michael B for judging the Native area. Pat for writing out all the indoor certificates. June for supplying the yummy scones for the judges morning tea. ASSA parents for supplying and serving the judges a great lunch. Richard and Ben for supplying the scrim and for those who helped erect the scrim. Vaughan for supplying the tape and standards and Dave and Franklin for erecting the calf ring. Deltina for mowing the 3 circles. Nipper for mowing the field. Parents who helped with the BBQ. Blair & Fiona for kindly having their woolshed on standby. Katherine for organising the lotto. To all our parents for supplying a great afternoon tea and for all the support given to the school for raising a lamb or a calf, and of-course our great students and their lovely lambs and calves. It was wonderful to see every child in every family with either a lamb or a calf. This day creates a learning opportunity which encourages children to learn the responsibility of just how to care for a lamb or calf.
Also a huge thank you to Jo for running the Scholastic Book Fair for us and to the parents who purchased books.
Results of the Day :- Native Area - Care and Attention - 1st -Herbalists. 2nd - Native Propagators. 3rd - Recyclers. 4th - Sport Stars.
Landscape Design = 1st= - Native Propagators & Herbalists. 2nd - Hydroponic Experts. 3rd - Sport Stars. 4th - Recyclers.

Indoor Section - Junior (Year 0 - Year 2) 1st= - Alex & Sarah with 27 points.
2nd= - Sasha & Ryan with 22 points. 3rd - Hayley with 21 points. 4th - Tyler & Derek with 20 points.
Intermediate Section (Year 3 & 4) 1st= - Brooke & Hannah with 29 points. 2nd - David with 25 points. 3rd - Logan with 22 points. 4th - Keanu with 20 points.
Senior Section (Year 5 - Year 8) 1st - Ethan with 29 points. 2nd - Tom with 28 points. 3rd - Ashleigh with 25 points. 4th - Stanley with 23 points.

Outdoor Section - Senior Calves :- Leading - 1st - Caleb. 2nd - Stanley. 3rd= - Ethan & Jack.
Care and Attention - 1st - Caleb. 2nd - Tom. 3rd - Ethan. 4th - Jack.
Walking Without a Lead - 1st - Tom. 2nd - Caleb. 3rd - Ethan. 4th - Stanley.
Senior Calf Champion Cup = Caleb. Reserve Champion = Tom.
Junior Calves :- Leading - 1st - Lacey. 2nd= - Travis & Derek. 4th - Ben.
Care and Attention - 1st - Ben. 2nd= - Travis & Lacey. 4th - Derek.
Walking Without a Lead - 1st - Ben. 2nd - Derek. 3rd= - Lacey & Travis.
Junior Calf Champion Cup = Ben. Reserve Champion = Lacey.
Senior Lambs :- Leading - 1st - Ashleigh. 2nd - Ashley. 3rd - Chevelle.
Calling - 1st - Ashleigh. 2nd - Ashley. 3rd - Chevelle.
Rearing - 1st - Ashleigh. 2nd - Chevelle. 3rd - Ashley.
Senior Lamb Champion Cup = Ashleigh.
Intermediate Lambs :- Leading - 1st - David. 2nd - Charlotte. 3rd - Huntah. 4th - Logan.
Calling - 1st - Charlotte. 2nd - Huntah. 3rd - David. 4th - Logan.
Rearing - 1st - Charlotte. 2nd - Logan. 3rd - Huntah. 4th - David.
Intermediate Lamb Champion Cup = Charlotte. Reserve Champion = David & Huntah.
Junior Lambs :- Leading - 1st - Tyler. 2nd - Ryan. 3rd - Logan. 4th - Alex.
Calling - 1st - Tyler. 2nd - Alex. 3rd - Sarah. 4th - Danni.
Rearing - 1st - 1st - Alex. 2nd - Hayley. 3rd - Chloe. 4th= - Sarah & Tyler.
Junior Lamb Champion Cup = Tyler. Reserve Champion = Alex.
Congratulations and well done to you all!!

“And the champions are ...”
I was crossing my fingers so hard that blood could not pump through them. “Alex!”
“Yes,” thought in my head as claps rang through my ears.
“...and...”
The ‘and’ made me freeze like a Popsicle.
“Sarah!” Screaming filled the atmosphere with excitement!
“It’s a new record!” cheered Mrs Pratt.
Suddenly silence flew into the air. Certificates came and a trophy took place in Hannah and Brooke's hand. Yells rose and died again.
But now hope rested on my shoulders … Senior indoor champs were about to walk out of the dark and claim their prizes.
Stanley landed in 4th place. Ashleigh claimed a third.
“Please be Ethan, Please be Ethan, please be Ethan,” I begged.
“Tom Beard in second place.”
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I said in my head. So the champion claimed his trophy.....”Ethan.” “Tom was off by one point”
“NO!” I said out loud this time.
The whole thing changed as we got into the lamb and calf competition.
Seconds later Tyler and Alex were in ‘Ruler of the world’ poses as they held up a cup and reserve champion ribbon. My brother Alex got reserve champion.
Time flew and Ben held up a trophy.
Now I had butterflies in my stomach. It was my calf cup.
2 hours later ...“I can’t believe I got second in every thing,” I screamed! - By Tom

Lamb and Calf Day
The excitement was made. Riche (My lamb) and Tilly (Hayley's lamb) were calling out to Hayley and I. “Baaaaa,” as they were calling out to us.
“Logan feeding time,” Hayley yelled.
“Sorry can’t. I’m helping Ethan.”
Mum told Hayley we can’t feed the lambs because there's a feeding contest. My lamb at leading was magnificent. Then it was calling.
“Logan,” they called. “Now,” they called.
“Riche ... here Riche! Good boy,” I said to my lamb.
Then it was the drinking contest. Ready. GO!
Suck, suck, suck,(as the lambs are sucking the milk). 1st was Hannah Wills, 2nd was me, 3rd was Hayley Wilson Bryant and 4th was Huntah Digby.
At prize giving time in the lambs in care and attention … in 1st place is David, 2nd place is Charlotte, in 3rd place is Huntah and 4th Logan. For leading … 1st Charlotte, 2nd Logan, 3rd David and 4th Huntah.
I was so proud of My lamb!
By Logan
Batman
I just woke when Alex put the radio on. Batman was mooing outside. I got dressed as fast as I could. Then I saw Batman … he was pleased to see me. Mum took us to school. Then I did the things inside. Dad arrived with Batman and I had to go around the ring.
4th, 3rd, 2nd,1st … there goes to Ben with Batman! “Yay,” said Mum and Grandma.
“Are you proud of me Mum?” “I am Benny!!”
Mum went inside and had a look at my work. I got two 4ths and one 3rd. I was very proud of my cup this year and I hope I win it again next year. - By Ben

I got first for my Graphic design. It’s message was ‘Recycle for the planet!’ with different colours, fonts and darkness. I got second for my science investigation. It had one big windmill in the front that was big and 2 little ones on the other sides.
My calf looked like a horse but I made it better.
Prize giving time ...First place ... “h” my nerves were shaking “Hannah and …”
The “and …” made me stop and think a bit.
“Brrr …”
I know that sound!
“Hananh, equal with Brooke.” We sprinted up together. -
By Hannah

“Rocky Road! Rocky Road! Come and get your Rocky Road,” I sang dancing around.
“Rocky Road in the bike shed. Only $2.00. Lots of people said they’d come back later.
Finally Dad and Lauren came in the ute with the lambs and the calf.I ran to see Lizzy.She is such a good girl. I tied her to the fence and went back to selling Rocky Road. I saw Mum and ran over to her and asked for money. She gave me $2.00. I went racing to Hannah’s table. She had been saving me one sherbet. “Yummy,” I said to myself .
Finally the lamb and calf judging started.
The senior lambs were in one ring, the juniors were in another ring and the intermediate lambs were after the seniors. When the intermediate lambs were called into the ring we sat down and listened. The judges were Mr Angove and Mr Goodall.
First we started off doing leading. Lizzy did well in the leading. Next we did leading by ourselves. I suddenly heard my name get called. We walked together. She didn’t need a tap on the bum. She just walked, sat down and watched the others.
Next was calling. I once again heard my name. I stood up and gave LIzzy to Mr Angove. I went to the other side and called Lizzy. She came straight to me. I gave Lizzy a hug and sat down again.
After leading,calling and care and attention we had a drinking race and a dress up competition. I didn’t do the dress up competition because it hurts your lamb. For the drinking race I think I came 5th.
After the lamb competition, I gave Lizzy a big hug, tied Lizzy up and ran inside to see what I got. I got 1st for my science and 3rd for my flower arrangement.
Prize giving came. First was Indoor exhibits for juniors; Alex and Sasha got that. Next intermediate; Hannah and Brooke got the cup. For seniors; Ethan got that. Next was outside. For juniors; Tyler got the cup. Intermediate ... This the moment I had been waiting for … 2nd for leading, 1st for calling and 1st for care and attention. I walked back down and felt that I had a chance for the plate.
2011 … Charlotte gets the CUP! I felt so happy. - By Charlotte

Opening our Ramp entrance
This ramp is now officially open - we were delighted to have had Selwyn Jensen (Wal) open our new wheel-chair ramp on Lamb and Calf Day. We thank Selwyn for taking the time to travel up here to open the ramp and to spend the day with us.

Manawatu Show
Our students planned our Lamb and Calf Day Learning Tasks aware of the Manawatu Show Children's competition. It was great to see some our students and families, choosing to share their art and creativity, with a wider audience at the Manawatu Show. Well done to these students who got placings ...
Decorated Gumboot
!st Hayley
3rd David
Novelty Hat
1st Sarah
2nd David
3rd Ashleigh

We also had two teams competing in the interschool country kids challenge

Awesome Apiti young farmers - Ashley, Tom and Jack
Glen Tui Apiti - Caleb, Stanley, Ashleigh

Both teams represented our School fantastically and seemed to enjoy the challenge. Well done especially to Glen Tui Apiti who won the competition!!

“It’s official … we are lost,” I moaned sarcastically.

“Noo, it’s over there!” Caleb pointed out.
I slowly trudged through sloppy mud and made my way over to the tent for our briefing.
10 MINTES LATER
“OK, there are 5 stations. One is a quiz, the second is all about sheep and wool. The next one is number three. It’s all about cattle and calves. The fourth one is construction and lastly number five is about first aid. Group 1 will start at the quiz. Group 2 will start at sheep and wool. Group 3 will start at cattle. Group 4 will start at construction and group 5 will start at first aid.”
These were the instructions that we were given, so we had to listen very closely.
We were group two so we started off at sheep and wool.
We had to guess a type of wool fibre. The man didn’t tell whether it was sheep or not; it was just a type of wool fibre.
“Is it Alpaca?” Caleb guessed confidently.
With a smile the man nodded. Out of nowhere popped this guy who yelled “TIME!!” We all dipped under the fence and climbed over the gate to the next challenge… No.3: Cattle. First we had to put on two different types of halters. Then we had to work out how much profit you would make if you sold some things and the last thing was name three other things that you could purchase for a calf. The first task was harder than it sounded. We put on the first one right but the other one was just upside down. The second task was really painful because Caleb used my back as a desk.. ‘OUCH’. We were $1 down! It was $116 but we got $115. For the last thing we just told the man that we could get a lead, brush and bottle.

Then… “ TIME!!”. We moved onto the next one. Construction. The man gave the instructions and off we went. First we had to plan what our flag was going to look like. Then we got to construct it. Our flag was the only one standing. For the base we had 3 battens. For the flag it was a sack and we got to spray paint it.

“TIME” yelled the guy. We moved onto the next one … safety. This was really awkward so Caleb a

nd I left Stanley to deal with the person who had fallen off the motor bike while we checked for any damage on the motor bike. We found a flat tire, low oil, broken light and cable disconnected.
“TIME” … Over the fence, through the door and into the caravan we went for the quiz. We got our sheet and answered mostly all of the questions. 10 minutes passed by and we only had about 7 questions that we hadn't answered.
HALF AN HOUR LATER
And the top team is …. GLENTUI…. Excitement rushed through my body as I heard our team name called out. We were the TOP TEAM. The time had come for the finals. First we had to move two pallets from one end of the field to the other. We put one of the two pallets on the ground and stood on it, then put one in front and moved onto that. We weren’t allowed to touch the ground or our whole team had to stand still for 10secs. We had a big lead. Once we had got the pallet over the oink line, our team had to wash a 1/4 of a Ute, even the wheels! Then we had to find 1 of 2 needles in a haystack. But it was only a picture. Caleb found it and then we had to come up with a poem up to 20 words long and recite it to the crowd. Lastly we had to stand up our flag that we built.
Then came prize giving. Our team won a pocket knife, a 1st place ribbon and a $45 cheque for the school.
BY ASHLEIGH
On Saturday Stan, Ashmo, Caleb, Tom, Ashley and me went to county kid show. There were five activities to do. 1 quiz, 2 sheep wool, 3 was to put some halters on two calves, 4 build a flag using 3 batons, 5 to help a girl out as she had just crashed the motorbike. My team zipped through the sheep wool like a wild cheater but we never zipped through the flag pole. We went as slow as ants.
The final 4 teams had to go across two pellets without touching the ground. Then they had to wash a quarter of a ute , find a needle in a haystack and the say an over 20 word poem and stand up their flag up
Apiti won over all.
Then Mum, Stan, Caleb, Ash, Danni, and I went inside and looked at all the animals. I got to pat a baby ostrich and pat an ostrich egg. I patted a horse too! - By Jack

Whanau Group Challenge
Whanau Group preparation for Lamb and Calf Day
“Tom! Travis! Come look at our native area,”
Bang goes the door! Thud thud thud as we sprinted to the native area.
“Whoo this track is cool as,” said Tom in an excited voice.
“Tom come look at the bird house,” muttered Travis. Crunch crunch is officially the sound that our feet made when we walked through our track.
“We had better head back over and start on the foyer display.” We reluctantly headed back to class. “Take down everything apart from that poster and that poster.” I said.
“Chev we’ll back everything with newspaper aye,” Tom suggested
“Hey yeah. That would look pretty cool,” I replied “Tom you go and get the newspaper and I’ll go and get the goal and title. Hannah and Travis you go and start on the portfolio.”
Kss goes the newspaper and bang goes the stapler. We practically rushed and really worked as a team to get it all finished.When it came to Lamb and Calf day... “First place the recyclers!!”
We ran to help Hannah and Travis with the portfolio. Just spread them out for a bit more space. Once we were done that we were finished. We just needed to do our action project. Ting Ting as the cans were lifted off the ground and hit the barrel. We were done … ready to get first, second or third!
By Chevelle.


‘Okay guys’, If you would like you can all go for a walk over to the native area and do a little bit more work for Berky to judge this afternoon. Then later on we will get together and plan the rest of the day.
‘Chev can I use the rake bro’, I said. ‘Here,” he said as I was slowly crawling to my feet. ‘Shot bro’. I said as my silky hands slowly clung to the wooden fibre. “I will just start raking up the leaves on the western side over here,” I said. ‘Today we are going over to our sustainability action projects so Miss Crothers can judge us for 1st, 2nd and 3rd.’ ‘Okay Sport Stars you’re up’, said Mrs Fielder.
“Okay so sport stars … how do you think it’s going with the system for the P.E shed?” said Miss Crothers. ‘Its actually going really well because we have all been working together to keep it tidy and keeping it going for other people to use the gear,” I said. - By Huntah.

Whanau Group Enterprises
We would all like to say a huge thank you to all of the parents and members of our community who helped us with our planning and cooking. Your help was an important part of our enterprise success. Thank you!!

“Fabulous fudge, fudge, get your fudge!” Logan sang out hoping the customers would come pouring in.
Working cost
We practised our maths skills while making and costing our fudge. We had to use our understanding of multiplication, division and fractions.
For example: If a block of butter has 500g and cost $5.00.

We need 25g, 25 goes 20 times into 500 so the butter in the batch cost 25c.
Selling
“Johnny my man, what do you want?” He had lots of choice.
“I want that big box.”
“That will be 5 dollars exactly please.”
“Will I get change?”
“No sorry Johnny,” I replied.
But we usually did have to give change. So we had to find the difference between what they gave us and what they owed. Sometimes we subtracted what they owed and sometimes we turned it around to an addition problem. eg $2.50 + ___ = $5.00.
It was all quite popular. During selling we sold out of White choco, Dark choco, Big mack and Small mack.
Customer feed back
We have had a little feedback. We are currently gathering more with a customer survey.
The feedback will help us improve our business skills
Analyzing and balancing the cash book
We worked out that we earned $112.40. When we take off our expenses our profit Is around $85. That amazed my group.
By Ethan

We will probably have a stall at the Feilding market On the 16.12.11
We would love to see you there!!!!

Manawatu Young Cyclist of the Year
On Friday the 4th I competed in the Manawatu Cyclist of the year. We had a road rules test. It was multi choice and wasn’t too hard.
Then we did two obstacles courses. Some of the activities were a sharp u turn, distractions, biking as slowly as you can for 10 seconds and stop signs. We had to remember to use hand signals and to look for traffic.
After that we had a sausage and a drink. Then prize giving. The finalists have to do a big course over in Palmerston North coming up soon, competing against kids from all over the lower middle of the North Island. It was a very fun and worthwhile experience. - By Ethan.

Digi-awards.
The 5 Digi-award finalists from this school were Alex, Brooke, Lacey, Keanu and Ethan. They all sent in 1 entry, but Alex sent in 2. Well done to all 5 of these students, also to Mrs Fielder and Mrs Cuming. Over 600 kids attended the awards. - By Lacey.

Senior EOTC Camp

Yesterday Caleb and I, with some of Rangi School, went on our school senior camping trip.
Mrs Fielder picked Caleb and myself up and took us up to Jock’s place.
We got lost driving to Jock’s place .. not a good start!
We finally got to where we started to walk up the big hill. We stopped for a little something to
eat on the way up. When we got to the top where Jock’s hut was, we all went bush bashing through the native bush. We saw some native birds.
“Did you see that?” we said to each other so excitedly. We explored the bush some more. We walked in a single file over some slips. As we were walking around the bush, everyone was pointing out Deer prints.
At 6pm we went Deer stalking. In the end we saw 10 deer!
We all had a ball and I hope we can go next year so we can get more excitement in the bush. My favourite part of the trip was making the fire and stalking the deer and cooking the marshmallows on the fire.
So thank you so much Jock for all your hard work that you put in on the camp. We got so much out of it and lots of photos.
We are currently planning our google presentation to share our awesome experiences and learning with you! - By Stanley.

We are currently planning to take our Whanau group Enterprises to a wider audience. We aim to sell our sweets at the Feilding Market on Friday the 16th of December ... when we are in Feilding for swimming lessons.
In order to improve our product we would appreciate your feedback. We are currently creating a survey form to send home. We would appreciate it if you could fill it in and send it back to school. We really do appreciate your support!

Farewell
Sadly we farewell Ethan and his family as they move to Palmerston. We have been lucky to have time to really get to know Ethan as a learning partner and friend and will miss him and his family. We will have a shared lunch on the 24th of November. Please bring finger food to school suitable to share. You are all very welcome to join us!!

Athletics
We are currently practicing for the Oroua Athletics sports on the 2nd of December. Weather permitting, we will be practicing each afternoon. Students are well set up to challenge themselves at each station in our athletics rotation. They always learn more with, at the moment, encouragement and advice to improve their throwing and jumping techniques. If you are able to help either daily or as a one off, please let Mary or Nicki know. Could you please remind students to be prepared with shorts and t shirt suitable for athletics practice. Many thanks.

Wanted
Is there somebody out there that could loan the school a trailer to transport our lawn-mower to town for repairs this Wednesday please. If you are able to help us out, please ring either the school or Deltina on 3284 529.

Scholastic Books
This is the last scholastic book order for the year. Due back by Dec1. Thanks to every one who supported the book fair at Lamb and Calf day. The school earned $90 worth of books for the library. - Jo Beard.