24th September newsletter

Welcome to week 11 the final week of term 3 2012.
We are delighted to welcome Cailee and Brianna Bowmar to Apiti School.  Cailee is a Year 4 student in the senior room and Brianna is a Year 2 student in the junior room.  We know Cailee and Brianna will enjoy learning at our school.

Happy Birthday to the following students who will be celebrating their birthday during the school holidays :-
Hannah - 1st October!  Jack - 4th October!  Ben - 6th October!  We hope you have a great day!!

Celebrating Our Successes
Junior Room - Reading - Sarah is now on Blue 3.  Ryan now on Green 1.
Oroua Hockey Tournament
This tournament happened on Friday the 14th of September.  Below are some extracts from the thank you letters written to Kate and Tania.
'Thanks a-lot for coaching.  I learnt a-lot; like you have to push the ball going in on an angle as well as calling before you pass.  
It was so much fun.  I was amazed that we went from 4th= in our last tournament to 1st!...and we were undefeated!!  I think we won because of our teamwork and great skills.  Like when Logan, Huntah and I would run up in a line and one of us would score a goal.  Next time I hope we win and are still undefeated.  It's a shame I won't be in the same team...but I bet we will have a stronger team next year because half of this years team will be in it!!'  -  Tom.
'Thanks for being our coaches for this event.  The most challenging game and the one we used the most team talk was against Waituna West 2 because not only was it hard but we had to use all of our team and the whole field.  there were moments that were tough and we just had to walk away.  Because I have learnt new skills, it has encouraged me to join the summer league.'  -  Huntah.
Thank you for using your time to come down to coach us and teach us new skills.  I learnt how to trap, push and how to hold the stick low.  I also learnt lots about positions, holding the stick low for more control, what a shuttle is and to call for the ball.  I basically learnt how to play hockey!  We worked well together a s a team and we encouraged each other.  We all thought positively; like when something didn't go to plan, we just carried on.  I enjoyed playing hockey and learning all the new skills and having fun.'  -  Charlotte.
'Thanks for helping us get ready for hockey.  I learnt how to push, not hit the ball and how to keep my feet out of the way.  I also got better at holding the stick lightly so I could turn it back and forwards.  Next time I can't wait for you to come and help us to get even better.
 -  Travis.
What I learnt to do is shuttle sprints because you have to run back and forth.  The other thing I learnt was how to trap the ball, then move it to the side and pass.  My favourite thing I learnt was to pass to your backs not your forwards.  I liked the way you told us on the field you said "Try your best and get stuck in", the we went and scored a goal!!'   -  Logan.
'I learnt how to call the person to pass the ball to.  I also learnt how to hold a hockey stick and I learnt how to hit the ball on an angle.  We did lots of great teamwork; for example we used the space we had.  -  Ben.
'We learnt to use team work and to trick people by using other people when starting off.  We had a great defence at times.  We learnt some great skills.  Our team-work was great.  You developed some of our skills.  -  Jack.
'I learnt how to stop the ball, for example when I was goalie and I stopped the ball going into the goal.  I also learnt how to pass the ball and work as a team.  I enjoyed playing the first game becuase we then knew how we would have to play in all the games to put pressure on them.'  -  Hannah.

Mt Ruapehu Ski Trip
Thank you to all those parents who provided transport for this event.  Again we struct it lucky with the weather for most of the day.  Again the students gained more skills and confidence on the ski slopes.  Accounts will be sent home in the near future.
Junior Room Ski Stories
I went skiing and I fell over while I was skiing.  I went up the chairlift and at the end I didn't fall over.
  -  Logan.
I went skiing and I went on the chairlift.  I nearly fell off it.  I did skiing fast and I couldn't stop.  To stop you have to do pizza.  -  Lauren.
We went skiing with Mum to Turoa Ski fields.  We got on the chair lifts with Tyler.  It was scary on the chairlifts.  It is fun to learn to ski and do pizza and to stop.  Yesterday on the pommel she gave me the round bit to help me get up the hill.  -  Danni.
We went skiing, it was a long trip to Mount Ruapehu and we were the first ones there at the Ohakune park.  Logan was stuck in the baby swing, so I helped him get out of the swing.  Soon everyone was there.  Then we drove up Mount Ruapehu to the Turoa skifield.  We got our boots sorted.  My feet were really sore when I put them on.  We strapped our boots on and got the right size skis.  I had to get my balance.  We had a lesson that helped me not to use my poles.  The pommel took us back up the hill so we could ski down again.  We went to the Turbos game.  We wore our buckets on our head and had a flag.  - Hayley.
I travelled up with Tyler and my family.  I woke up last because I forgot it was the ski trip and I couldn't be bothered to get up.  It was a long trip, but finally we got to Mount Ruapehu.  I got all my gear.  I was ready to ski down the mountain.  I had my ski lesson and I learnt how to do Pizza to stop and French Fries to go fast.  I went to the next level  I went up a little jump. I fell over 5 times.  the whole school came.  I got better this year than last year because my lesson was better.  -  Alex.
My mum went skiing, my mum is good at skiing, she is so fast.  - Johnny.

Home / School Collaboration Meeting
This meeting is tonight in the senior room / library, starting with the introduction at 6.15.  Light refreshments will be served throughout the meeting.
At 6.30 we will meet Aevryl from Family Planning to discuss 'senior health' for Years 5 - 8.  All other parents are welcome to join this part of the evening as well.
At 7.30 we have consultation re health, swimming, key competencies and lamb and calf day.  There will also be an opportunity to discuss any other matters that you may like to raise.
Looking forward to seeing at least one parent from each family attend this very interesting meeting.

Waste Busters
Are there any families who would like to order lunch-box containers to reduce the waste.  Please look at the list below and contact Logan or Brooke.
Klipo green lunch box - $9.50.      Klipo orange sandwich box - $3.50.
Sistema sandwich box - $4.00.      Sistema fruit container - $3.50.      Sistema chippie container - $3.50.
Sistema flat drink bottle - $4.50.    Sistema small drink bottle - $4.00. Sistema yoghurt container - $4.00.
   -  Logan and Brooke.

Summer Hockey Training
For those interested in playing the summer hockey league, training happens at Waituna West for Year 3 & 4 every Tuesday, Year 5 & 6 every Wednesday and Year 7 & 8 every Thursday.  Please ring Posy on      3289 199 if you are interested.

AgriSea
AgriSea NZ supports Calf Clubs in NZ Schools and has gifted 250mls of their Animal Health Tonic for each participating child.  AgriSea Animal Health Tonic provides a vast range of natural nutrients, minerals, vitamins and trace elements to your calf and or lamb.  A bottle of this tonic will be distributed to every child who would like one.  If you would like more information regarding this tonic or for your calf rearing guide, please visit their website www.agrisea.co.nz

Sports Report - Hockey
Prize giving was held last Friday night for the Rangitikei area.   The Oroua Cluster Hockey team, won the cup for 'Most Improved' team for Year 7 & 8 for the 2012 season.  Well done guys!! - Stanley and Jack.

Condolences
The Apiti School staff, students and Board of Trustees would like to offer their condolences to Christine, Mark and Nikita Lowe and families for their recent loss. Our thoughts are with you.

As this is the last newsletter for the term, the staff would like to wish you all a very happy and safe holiday and look forward to seeing you all back here on Monday the 15th of October at 9.00am.
Regards, Mary, Nicki, Pat, Mary B, Jo and Chris.